Total Pages Read: 3,276
Shortest Book: 208 pages
Longest Book: 512 pages
Last Book Read:
12. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. Two young people meet just as their city is on the brink of a civil war. When they join the wave of migration that has flooded the globe by stepping through a door to another place, it will change everything. 226 pages. (Finished 3 Jun 2018).
- Will It Skillet?: 53 Irresistible and Unexpected Recipes to Make in a Cast-Iron Skillet by Daniel Shumski. I like this guy’s cookbooks. 216 pages. (Finished 8 Jan 2018).
- The Special Power of Restoring Lost Things by Courtney Elizabeth Mauk. Their eldest daughter disappeared from a nightclub with a man over a year ago. Husband and wife have grown apart, not knowing how to deal with their grief and each other. The youngest son is preparing to escape the confines of home to the world his older sister lived in. All the while they search for thing missing most (or news of her body being found). 223 pages. (Finished 12 Jan 2018)
- The Red-Haired Woman by Orhan Pamuk. A young boy who’s father has left decides to take a job as an apprentice with a well digger. He forms a bond with the master well digger that is as close as a father. However, when an accident befalls the well digger, he returns to Istanbul without knowing his masters fate. 272 pages. (Finished 30 Jan 2018).
- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. The story of a family in Mississippi and its journey through the past and present. The power and limitations of the bonds of family. This is a book that you really just need to read. I can’t do it justice in a snippet of a few lines. 305 pages. (Finished 12 Feb 2018).
- Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward. In a small town in Mississippi, a family prepares for the arrival of a hurricane. All the while, each member of the family deals with the various pressures of their life. This is a book that you really just need to read. I can’t do it justice in a snippet of a few lines. 272 pages. (Finished 20 Mar 2018).
- You Need a Budget: The Proven System for Breaking the Paycheck to Paycheck Cycle, Getting Out of Debt, and Living the Life You Want by Jesse Mecham. I started using YNAB in August of last year, but I wasn’t really doing it the right way. I got this book around Christmas and it (along with the accounting class I started in Jan) made it click on how to more effectively use the YNAB system. 224 pages. (Finished 21 Mar 18).
- Hey There, Dumpling!: 100 recipes for dumplings, buns, noodles, and more for festive occasions by Kenny Lao. I’ve had a bit of a dumpling obsession of late. Last week I was cruising the aisles of the greatest bookstore on earth and ran across this book. I put a hold on it at the library straight away. Recipes are clear and there are plenty of pictures and illustrations to help you on the way. I can’t say yet how easy they are, as I haven’t made anything yet (planning on soon though). 208 pages. (Finished 26 Mar 2018).
- Idaho by Emily Ruskovich. The story of a family in rural Idaho and a shocking event that shapes all of them in different ways. Told from many different perspectives, slowly peeling away the layers to what actually happened and why. 322 pages. (Finished 17 Apr 2018).
- Macbeth by Jo Nesbø. Drop Shakespeare’s Macbeth into a Nesbø crime novel and this novel is what you end up with. Instead of Prince of Denmark, we have Macbeth, head of SWAT for a city that has seen better days from its industrial past. He’s the best cop in the city, but he’s also a former drug addict. Beyond that, you should know the plot. 512 pages. (Finished 5 May 2018).
- Chinese Soul Food: A Friendly Guide for Homemade Dumplings, Stir-Fries, Soups, and More by Hsiao-Ching Chou. I came for the chapter on dumplings, but will perhaps try more from the chapter on stir-fry or guilty pleasures. I nice book with home cooked Chinese food, both more traditional and the Americanized stuff we grew up with. 256 pages. (Finished 10 May 2018).
- Men Without Women: Stories by Haruki Murakami. A collection of short stories by one of my favorite authors. 240 pages. (Finished 25 May 2018).
- Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. Two young people meet just as their city is on the brink of a civil war. When they join the wave of migration that has flooded the globe by stepping through a door to another place, it will change everything. 226 pages. (Finished 3 Jun 2018).